Thursday, November 9, 2017

Nuts, Its An Egg!

Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. Over the course of the summer Freddie and I have been planting all sorts of exciting things wherever we find room to fit planters. Almost every window houses planters full of various herbs and flowers. 

Earlier this afternoon Freddie opened the kitchen window to harvest some of the herbs for dinner and found a strange oval object nestled between the oregano leaves. A couple of weeks prior to today's event Freddie had found some pigeons trying to build a nest in the thyme plant but chased them away before they got too far. Deterred, the pigeons left, but had they returned to try again?

It had been a long morning and Freddie wasn't sure she had the strength to handle the delicate situation at hand. She texted me asking for advice and having never been in this particular predicament before, I said I'd take a look at it after school.

On the ride home I wondered what to do with the egg. Should I try to find an incubator and hatch the egg? Could I keep it as a pet or would it be better off in the wild? Should I simply solve the situation by sending it over the edge of the planter from the fourth story window? 

When I got home I headed straight to the kitchen and opened the window to see what I was dealing with. The object in question was indeed oval in shape and a light brown color with darker brown markings. I put on a pair of gloves and used one hand to push back the oregano leaves to get a closer look. 

I tentatively poked at the object, nothing happened. 

I sighed and moved the hand that was pushing back the leaves. As the leaves fell back into place the object shifted position and slid towards me, exposing its rounded yet distinctively pointed edge. I don't have much experience with eggs outside of store bought chicken eggs but I'm fairly certain that eggs don't have pointed edges. 

With a gloved hand I picked up the object in question and determined that it was some sort of nut. I hit it against the window frame a couple of times and it seemed far too hard to be the fragile shell of an egg so I tossed it out the window. 

Problem solved I wished the egg-nut farewell and sat down to eat dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment